Wednesday 17 July 2013

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS FOR ANDROID?



SYNAPSE CIRCUIT
POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS FOR ANDROID?
#Android #KeyLimePie #VanillaAndroid #Nexus #GoogleNexus #StockAndroid

Good evening, Synapse Circuit Readers! Mmmmm... Nothing like a tub of ice cream on a hot night such as this! Chocolate ice cream... My favourite! Speaking of sweet things...

ANDROID: JUST DESSERTS?
I’ve been reading a lot lately about how manufacturers should leave Android pure and direct functionality towards apps. I even wrote something along those lines a few months back and now I am not so sure...

For a the last two Saturday’s in a row I’ve been out taking photos with my Androids, Galaxy S4 and my recently acquired HTC One X. I can’t say that I am too impressed with the HTC One X results – oh, I have rooted it and installed Cyanogenmod. As I have always maintained with HTC handsets, the camera is not up to much. The pictures are grainy and the video is often jerky. Anyhoo, this is one of the reasons why I have chosen to go with Samsung handsets.

And last Saturday it became very apparent as why I have come to appreciate the camera application on the S4 and TouchWiz. TouchWiz Nature UX 2.0 to be precise. In comparison to TouchWiz 4.0, Nature UX 2.0 has come such a long way that I can’t see myself ever installing a custom ROM. On my Galaxy S2 I felt that TouchWiz 4.0 was getting in the way and it was very necessary to root and Cyanogenmod it! The S2 still works remarkably well considering... ....so, what I am trying to say? Yes, it’s that hot! I can hardly function! Lol! Ok, ok...

What I am trying to say is that Android has always been able to access a good camera and moreover take great snaps too! I am waiting for a Google Galaxy S4 to prove that, barring the special effects as part of the standard S4, you’ll be able to get more or less the same results. In other words, a bad camera is a bad camera. And when you have a top notch, in my opinion, camera that is the Galaxy S4 I don’t want to use any other camera application other than what is there! Therefore, I am no longer subscribing to the “Vanilla Android is best” idea. But I do understand the purist’s point of view at the same time. I am practically running Vanilla Android on my One X and I prefer it to Sense.

THE SOLUTION
Google... The solution is down to Google to provide either a built-in camera app as part of the Android operating system – I am not sure how that would work... But just like Google have apps for many functions I think it is about time they did a camera app, Google Eyes! Google Eyes would be one sweet camera on par with Samsung and / or your favourite manufacturer camera app.

Google are already working on making Android faster. But I can’t say that I have noticed a lag nowadays. Jelly Bean is a massive leap forward as you may know... There again, I still read about “lags” and I can’t say that I have experienced this with the premium handsets. The only time I have experienced lag is with those budget handsets that can’t deal with CPU intensive apps.

I think that manufacturers should, like Google, keep improving their overlays! There are only a few things I would change with TouchWiz and the one that’s on the top of my head is to make the UI adapt to landscape; that is long overdue with TouchWiz! Oh, and to create folders by simply dropping an icon on top of another.

I was thinking about asking Samsung to turn TouchWiz into a launcher but I think that stop Samsung being Samsung and respectively Sense on HTC and so on and so forth.

Next up is the hardware! It seems that these quad-core beasts are good for driving the UI overlays because if you take the Motorola RAZRi with its single-core Intel 2GHz CPU it chugs along without any real lag. I think this is because the RAZRi runs near pure Android as the hardware does not warrant special UI tweaks.

It’s horses for courses! It’s what makes Android a unique experience and what drives manufacturers to innovate with what the operating system can do.

Oh, I would want stock Vanilla Android’s interface to infinitely scroll the home screens! It’s a little annoying that I can’t go from screen 7 to 1 by swiping left and vice versa.

ARGUMENTS / DISCUSSION
Whatever... I was having a discussion with a Nokia Window 8 Fanboy regarding Nokia going Android and basically he told me that it is a bad thing for Android to dominate the world. And then he asked me if I work for Google! Lol!

The point I am making is that Android is so malleable that you can pretty much do what you want with it! So, why can’t Nokia do something with it? Today, a phone isn’t just a phone... It’s what the phone can do! But there is a reason why Android is dominating at the moment and if it could save Nokia from going under then why not?

It’s like with BlackBerry... They want to do their own thing yet want to utilize Android apps in a bid to save their bacon. Can they have it both ways? We’ll see...

There’s talk of Tizen, Firefox and Ubuntu operating systems. Bring ‘em on! Put Android to the test!

Let me know what you think!

Take good care!


Please enjoy the video below! Feel free to leave some comments and subscribe!

 


Thank you for watching and reading!

Please check out the Synapse Circuit website for video, i-PDF and more! 

Synapse Circuit Dot Com

No comments:

Post a Comment