Saturday 16 February 2013

LG RISING: CAN LG REACH THE DIZZY HEIGHTS OF SAMSUNG?

The evolution of LG...

LG RISING

Good evening, Synapse Circuit Readers... Yes, it has been a while! I can tell you that I am busy with working on the new format... I know, I know... It’s taking a bit of time... A guy has gotta sleep! Lol!

But I am happy to say that I am making good progress with the new format. However, in the meantime... Hey, have you noticed that LG are starting to rise up in the smarpthone / superphone steaks?

IT STARTED WITH A VIEWTY
How many of you had the LG KU990 Viewty model? That was quite a decent pre-Android handset! I have one... It’s not active; the KU990 Viewty is adding to me growing collection of museum pieces. I think most people appreciated the 5MP camera on it; the pictures weren’t bad at all. In addition the KU990 featured DivX movies... Cool... The touchscreen was a bit of a disaster as I recall, still it was one of the first wave of touchscreen handsets. I think I upgraded from my Nokia N95 (which I still have).

I also remember several of the tech TV shows giving the KU990 good reviews. Those were the days before the iPhone dropped! Lol!

WILDERNESS, BACK FROM
I think that the iPhone set LG back quite a bit... follow up handset, the Arena, was better but then came the iPhone and Android... LG disappeared off the map albeit temporarily! They came back with a few handsets over the last couple of years – notably the L series of handsets. In my mind LG struggled to get noticed during the battle for Android supremacy between Samsung and HTC; we know who won that one. Oh my goodness!!! I have just realized that the Viewty K990 had the optional stylus before the Galaxy Note made it desirable! Wow!

LG almost had a hit with the premium Optimus 4X HD which was overshadowed. Plus, for some reason, people haven’t taken to LG... I wonder why? Then there was LG’s answer to the Galaxy Note, Vu. Vu never made it to the UK! I wonder why? Anyhoo... What broke LG was the budget ‘L’ series! I was so impressed that I bought one, the LG Optimus L3!

L ON EARTH
To my mind the budget game looked like another competition between Samsung and HTC: Samsung, Galaxy Ace (which was anything but) and HTC Desire C and Wildfire S – to name only two (from HTC).

LG made a smart move to produce cost effective smart-ish handsets. Or was it a smart move? Did LG just throw a bunch of stuff at the market to see what sticks? Who knows? But the budget ‘L’ range has done remarkably well; 15 million budget handsets have been sold thus so far and they will continue to sell. The Optimus L5 has recently come down in price and the specs look fairly good, you can pick one up for less than £100! Certainly the L5 is a more than worthy challenger to any budget handset on the market to date. Yes, the L5 is a good compromise if one is on a tight budget. Here’s the nitty gritty: 4 GB (2.5 GB user available), 512 MB RAM and an 800 GHz processor! That’s enough to hold the most useful apps: Facebook, Gmail, WhatsApp, Twitter and a few others!

The good news is that LG are about to release L series II! This could further reduce the costs of the first wave!

STRIKING GOLD
You could say that LG struck gold when they partnered with Google to produce one of the best selling Android handsets of 2012 and this year! Now LG has a great opportunity to shine. Just like Samsung, LG are looking for a hit with a signature handset and that could come with the forthcoming Optimus G Pro!

The Optimus G Pro looks every bit the heavyweight that is going to form the basis 2013’s Android handset! Take a look...

CPU
Quad-core 1.7 GHz Krait.

Memory / Storage
32 GB, 2 GB RAM
Apparently there is no microSD card slot - not that you'd need it with 32 GB on board!

Screen
True HD-IPS + LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.5 inches (~401 ppi pixel density).

Camera
13 MP, autofocus, LED flash.

Battery
Non-removable Li-Po 3000 mAh battery.

All the above looks superb and that it could give other leading handsets a run for the money! The only two things I don’t like already is no microSD slot and that the battery is non-removable. These are Apple iPhone traits and I don’t understand why manufacturers would adopt these ideas.

From what I have understood these specifications are definite and that the Optimus G Pro is heading our way in the second quarter.

Hmmmm... Interesting... How will the Optimus G Pro fare against the giants, Samsung & HTC – not to mention hungry manufacturers such as Huawei and ZTE! LG cannot afford to drop this ball otherwise they may be looking at being kings of the budget sector!

What do you reckon? Are you planning on owning the Optimus G Pro?

Thank you for reading!


In the meantime please check out the Interactive PDF right here:
Synapse Circuit Dot Com!

No comments:

Post a Comment