Thursday 31 January 2013

BLACKBERRY: Z10 & Q10, IS IT GAME OVER ALREADY?


Don't the designers take any notice of concept art?

BLACKBERRY: Z10 & Q10,
IS IT GAME OVER ALREADY?


Good afternoon, Synapse Circuit Readers... Oooh, the delights of coffee... Did you see the launch or re-launch of BlackBerry yesterday? Naturally I caught it! What do you think?
Are you the proud owner of a BlackBerry handset? Are you planning to upgrade to the BlackBerry Z10 or the Q10?


SO, IS IT GAME OVER?
To be honest I sincerely hope not. Ok, I didn’t think that the handsets were at the cutting edge of smartphone technology but I think that’s how BlackBerry fans like it.

BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry Q10 Smartphones

They feature 1.5 Ghz dual core processors with 2GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage, and an expandable memory card slot. They include the latest enhancements in high density pixel and screen technology to display clear, sharp, and incredibly vivid images. Both feature a micro HDMI out port for presentations, and advanced sensors such NFC (near field communications) to support mobile payments and the exchange of information with a tap of the smartphone. They also have a removable battery.

Models of the BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry Q10 will be available from carriers to support their respective 4G LTE or HSPA+ networks, and all the available models include connectivity support for global roaming. The BlackBerry Z10 and BlackBerry Q10 smartphones will also each come in White and Black.

I think these handsets are perfect for the dedicated BlackBerry user who does not like these massive Android screens. The operating system does look quite interesting – it’s a little like bits of iOS and Android combined; it has potential.

I don’t think too much of the designs. Having said that, I still stick to the possibility of getting one as a secondary or third handset as the prospect of BBM is appealing. BB10 apps could be very interesting indeed.

I like that they have micro HDMI port that I am sure will be used by business folk as a presentation device.

So, for Canada’s and the sake of the many dedicated BB users out there I hope that this is the start of a new seed that will grow into a strong tree in the forest of today’s advanced mobile devices. I am interested in seeing the new Playbook!

WHAT BLACKBERRY ARE DOING RIGHT
It’s funny... In one of my blogs I said that the mobile phone release is very much like how I used to feel about the music charts as a younger man. Music today is so throwaway – at least for me. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Alicia Keys was appointed as the new Global Creative Director,

“Alicia Keys has come to BlackBerry because she believes in the product and technology, and subscribes to our overriding philosophy to ‘Keep Moving’: to empower people through mobile computing and communications,” said BlackBerry President and CEO Thorsten Heins. “We are excited she will be bringing to us her enormous capabilities, as well as a vast network of relationships in the entertainment, social media and business communities, to help shape our brand and grow our business.”

In her new role, Keys will work closely with app developers, content creators, retailers, carriers and the entertainment community to further shape and enhance the BlackBerry 10 platform, and inspire creative use through its remarkable capabilities and functionality.  From music to books, to film, to apps, Keys will lead the charge of enhancing entertainment consumption and distribution, through the power of BlackBerry 10.

That’s a very, very smart move on the part of BlackBerry. Having Keys in that role makes me want to own the Z10 as I feel that this is an historic moment in the mobile devices realm. As you can imagine, I am very, very curious as to what Keys will bring to the table.

Wow! I am a little excited and it’s not an Android device! Woo!

Kudos to BlackBerry’s CEO Thorsten Heins for placing Keys in such an advantageous position.

WHAT BLACKBERRY HASN’T DONE BUT SHOULD HAVE
The only thing that I can criticize BlackBerry for is not being adventurous in the handset designs. I have to say that they look very underwhelming. I do understand that most BlackBerry users have a tendency to be plain, but there could have been a third option that would be experimental in its design. It is as though they haven’t learned from what Android has done and is doing. I am disappointed that they have gone down the Apple route of anti-design.

The third option should have been at least a 4.8” HD screen to show that they are aware of the current handset trends. I think this would have given more of an impact to Keys’ position. Oh, that could have been the magic X10 – ‘X’ is the Roman numeral for 10. That would have been the icing on the cake.

BlackBerry has to consider that many users have gone on the likes of the Galaxy SIII, One X, etc. BlackBerry needs to make deserters think, “Oh, maybe I should have waited a little longer...” Certainly, they need to reposition themselves back into the market with a device that demands attention. They need... Yes, I guess you saw this one coming... They need the ‘X’ factor. They don’t have it.

I would like to get my mitts on those devices to see what they are really about.

Thank you for reading!

In the meantime please check out the Interactive PDF right here:
Synapse Circuit Dot Com!

No comments:

Post a Comment